Really Wild Mushrooms

The ABC has reported that poisonous mushrooms have killed two people in Canberra and the same mushrooms have now been found in the Adelaide hills. We wrote here previously about the benefits of mushrooms in fighting colds and flu. These mushrooms will beat your cold or flu, but there are definitely less permanent ways to do that. I will be sticking to the store bought or home grown mushrooms and I suggest that you do the same.

Health authorities warn a species of deadly mushrooms which killed two people in Canberra recently is popping up in the Adelaide Hills.

The death cap mushroom is one of a number of poisonous species which have been growing in the Adelaide Hills during autumn.

Dr Kevin Buckett of SA Health is urging South Australians to leave any picking of wild mushrooms to the experts.

“Death caps are not common. We do know that they’re here, they are in the Hills region,” he said.

“They particularly like oak- and chestnut-type woodland but they can be in a range of places so they’re there [and] people need to avoid them,” he said.

People have been warned to ensure their pets also do not eat any wild mushrooms.

Dr Buckett said anyone with wild mushrooms they could not identify growing in their garden should pick them and put them in a bin, then wash their hands.

“We haven’t had any cases of people going to hospital after eating mushrooms yet this year, that’s how we want to keep it,” he said.

“We did have 10 people hospitalised last year so it’s not completely uncommon and some of the species are really deadly, such as the death cap.” more details at ABC News…

If you really want to eat wild mushrooms you would be well advsed to take a guide like those listed below.