Cucumbers Have Amazing Health Benefits and are Handy around the House too. Here are 15 things that you can use cucumbers for that you may not be aware of.
1. Reduce Puffiness, Cellulite and Wrinkles. Everyone knows that women have used cucumber to reduce puffiness around their eyes for years, but do you know why it works?
It’s because the photochemical in cucumbers makes the collagen in your skin tighten. It also works if you rub cucumber on problem cellulite spots and wrinkles. Instant skin care from your greengrocers
2. Headache and Hangover Cure. Cucumbers are high in B vitamins, sugar, and electrolytes and they can restock the nutrients lost from your body, which can help you avoid a hang over, or to beat a headache that has been threatening to take hold.
3. Breath Freshener. If you place a slice of cucumber on the roof of your mouth and hold it there with your tongue for 30 seconds, the same photochemical that reduces cellulite and puffiness will also kill the bacteria that causes bad breath.
4. Energy Boost. Cucumber can replace those dangerous energy drinks and excessive caffeine when you a re feeling a bit low on energy. There are enough carbohydrates and B vitamins to give you a longer-lasting and healthier boost of energy than any of those over processed drinks and man made stimulants.
5. Cure the Munchies. Again all the natural goodness in a cucumber is far better for you than any packaged snack you may try to beat the munchies. Did you know that cucumber is a negative calorie food? In other words, you burn more calories eating cucumber than there are in the cucumber itself. So not only are you beating the hunger pangs but reducing your calorie intake at the same time.
6. Cheap radiant and healthy skin. You can create an economical facial by boiling cucumber in water and leaning over the steam. Your skin will look great and you will feel relaxed and rejuvenated.
7. Sunburn Cure. Not quite as good as Aloe Vera, but pretty close. Rub some cucumber on any sunburnt spot for relief. Doctors often use cucumber to treat patients with irritated skin and sunburns.
8. Reduce your blood pressure. Cucumber has been used for many years to treat high blood pressure. If you have high blood pressure make sure that you include cucumbers in your daily diet. There is also ongoing research into the use of cucumbers for lowering cholesterol. If you want to know more about reducing your cholesterol see our article 7 Ways to lose weight and improve your Cholesterol Level
9. Relieve Constipation. Cucumber seeds are a natural diuretic. So if you are constipated, try eating a cucumber. If you suffer from chronic constipation, try adding cucumber to your daily diet.
Not only are cucumbers good for you and your body, they can be used for a wide range of cleaning and household tasks.
10. Defog your mirrors. Fogged up mirrors can be irritating when you get out if the shower and want to use them. You can avoid that fog by rubbing a slice of cucumber on the mirror before you get into the shower. The mirror will be clear and the bathroom will smell fresh.
11. Stop the squeaks. If you have any noisy squeaking hinges, you can get rid of the problem by rubbing a slice of cucumber on the hinge.
12. Get rid of crayon on walls. Use unpeeled cucumber to rub off any artwork your kids may leave on your walls.
13. Remove tarnish. Yes rubbing with cucumber will also remove tarnish from stainless steel taps and appliances in your kitchen. It leaves your surfaces streak free, is kinder to your hands and does not introduce any dangerous chemicals to your home.
14. One, two polish your shoe. A rub with cucumber will not only polish your shoes, it will make them water resistant too.
15. Get rid of garden pests. A few slices of cucumber in a tin of water in the garden will drive pests away. Place the tins strategically around your garden, the pests will hate it and leave and you will not even smell the deterrent that is driving them away. Don’t forget to replace the cucumber slices from time to time.